UVA Cancer Center Breast Care Program
The UVA Breast Care Program provides comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services that are both technically advanced and compassionate. They deliver exceptional patient and family care, comfort, support and education, based on a firm foundation of cutting edge research.
The Breast Care Program includes radiologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, pathologists, endocrinologists, geneticists, nurses and support staff who collaborate daily to provide women with coordinated and personalized care. This multidisciplinary team works to address the patients' concerns quickly, and to make their health care experience convenient and comfortable.
UVA offers the state's most advanced facility dedicated to breast health. The Breast Care Center brings the most advanced breast care services to one location. Virginia's only breast center combining surgery and breast imaging, the UVA Breast Center represents our commitment to breast health and the women in Virginia.
In addition to on site services, UVA has convenient screening mammography offered through its mobile mammography program. The Mobile Mammography Program was established as part of the Breast Care Program's effort to increase the number of Virginia women who receive screening mammograms. Breast imaging technology on the mobile unit is comparable to screenings performed at other UVA health system screening locations. For those without health insurance, the Breast Care Program is able to offer assistance to help cover the cost of the mammogram through funding from the Women's Four Miler.
Thanks in part to the Women's Four Miler, the UVA Breast Care Program recently launched a new program for women who are at high risk for breast and ovarian cancers. The UVA Cancer Center's High Risk Breast and Ovarian Cancer Program offers women, ages 18-70, a comprehensive program to assess risk and create a care plan specific to each woman's risk level.
Over the past several years, the Charlottesville Women's Four Miler has enabled the UVA Breast Care Program to offer programs and services that directly impact our patients. In addition to the screening mammograms and the high-risk breast and ovarian program, the Women's Four Miler has also provided funding for a Navigation Notebook and Self Help Book for newly diagnosed breast cancer patients.
With generous funding from the 2008 Charlottesville Women’s Four Miler, the UVA Breast Care Program had the opportunity to fund several projects and services this year designed to improve patient care:
- Continue to offer a care kit specially designed for the newly diagnosed breast cancer patient
- Funding to cover DNA testing for an inherited breast cancer susceptibility disorder for indigent patients
- Funding to expand hospitality services to patients and guests in the Cancer Center, including the Breast Care Center and Radiation Oncology
- A study to help determine whether acupuncture or reflective exercise reduces fatigue in breast cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy
- Provide special calculators to referring physicians to help identify women who may be at higher risk for developing breast cancer
- Continue to provide screening mammograms on the mobile mammography van to women who are unable to afford them
For more information, please visit the UVA Cancer Center Breast Care Program website.
Help us to reach our goal - make a donation today!